Paisley Vintage Blog

Herringbone Dresser

I’m a bit excited to share this one – it’s something very different for me and I’m just loving how it turned out.

herringbone dresser

I had in my head that I wanted to create something for a boys room; something slightly industrial and a little more grown up, a big boys room.  I wanted more colour, but something that would last into teenage years and beyond.

I knew the colour I wanted immediately – this is Annie Sloan’s Aubusson Blue. The drawer fronts were in reasonable condition and with a bit of sanding (I left some stain to get that lovely mottled colour) they were a great contrast. I had planned to use the original knobs but after trying a couple of different cleaning methods I found on Pinterest (and finding they were all epic fails) I found some plain black pulls that seem to tie in perfectly.

herringbone dresser 2

Painting the pattern was time consuming but SO worth it. I started by measuring the height of the drawer front and marking the half way point at a couple of spots across the top. I then ran some painters tape down one side of those marks and started taping off the stripes on that side. I used a piece of tape to get the width the same between each stripe, and once the stripes were completely dry I removed all the tape. You can see how I did it in the picture on the left, below.

herringbone dresser 4

To do the other side, I reused the long piece of tape, placing it on the other side of the half way marks and taping up the stripes again. To make sure I had the angle of each stripe right I used a couple of pieces of tape to marry up the edges of each stripe. I did find this bit a little fiddly, you can see how I checked in the photo on the right.

herringbone dresser 3

I love the patterned drawer fonts, and I think you might be seeing more of this style from me in the future!

signature

 

I’m sharing at…

Domestically Speaking

Miss Mustard Seed

The post Herringbone Dresser appeared first on Paisley Vintage.

Leave a comment